Bel Power Solutions Melcher Brand, DC / DC and AC / DC Converters for Railway and Rugged Applications
Bel Power Solutions is one of the largest power supply manufacturers in the world and has a long history of providing leading edge, innovative power solutions. Under the MELCHER brand, Bel provides the leading manufacturers in the railway and transportation industry worldwide with high performance, rugged DC / DC and AC / DC converters.
Bel Power Solutions in the railway industry
Bel Power Solutions provides leading manufacturers in the railway and transportation industry worldwide with high-performance, rugged DC / DC and AC / DC MELCHER™ brand converters.
With more than 40 years of design and manufacturing experience, MELCHER products are designed to meet the highest national and international standards for harsh environments, safety and electromagnetic compatibility and interference (EMC / EMI) as well as undergo rigorous and extensive engineering and design validation tests ( EVT / DVT), highly accelerated life tests (HALT) and highly accelerated stress screen (HASS) tests.
Our strict engineering guidelines ensure low component stress, thermal profiling and high phase margins for stability and dynamic response.
Melcher AC / DC and DC /DC products
There are literally hundreds of thousands of Bel Power’s MELCHER products installed around the globe, whether on rolling stock or trackside. Our MELCHER cassette DC / DC and AC / DC power converters designed for railway applications have successfully passed all tests and requirements according to the material fire safety of DC / DC and AC / DC converters according to EN 45545-1, EN 45545-2 (2013) for hazard levels HL1 to HL3.
The fire safety tests have been conducted at a certified lab. In addition the above the products also comply with national versions of fire and smoke standards, in particular DIN 5510-2 and NFF 16-101 (1988) classification I3 / F2.
Products features and benefits include:
- Compliance with International and national standards (EN, UL, AREMA, RIA, NFF), in particular EN50155 and 50121
- Fire safety according to EN 45545 for hazard levels HL1 to HL3
- Ultra-wide DC input voltage, up to 10:1 ratio, suitable for all common battery input voltages worldwide
- Extremely high efficiencies
- Fully featured, full fault protection: transient, over-temperature, over / undervoltage, overcurrent
- 3.3V to 96V output voltages with wide trim range
- Series and parallel or fully redundant configurations
- On / off control, current share and other options
- Extended ambient operating temperature to -40°C or lower on request
- Convection and conduction cooling with no derating up to 70°C
- All PC boards dip-varnished for high mechanical durability and humidity withstand, without use of potting material
- Shock and vibration resistance
- Basic or reinforced insulation, test voltages up to 3k VAC
- Multi platform approach for highest flexibility
- All products are fully compliant with the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) directive
LBC Series battery chargers
The LBC Series is a ruggedised battery charger consisting of two or three parallel independent AC-DC converters employing power factor correction (PFC) stages and insulated DC-DC stages to convert the three-phase input voltage 400 / 480 VAC (line to line) to a bus voltage suitable for 110V battery charging. The system includes a digital signal processor (DSP) for control and monitoring.
- Input voltage range 400 / 480Vrms 3-phase
- Output power up to 12kW
- High power density with 13W/in3 per unit
- 110VDC output is decoupled with a diode for redundant applications
- Output voltage for 110V battery (adjustable 85VDC-137.5VDC)
- Operating temperature -25°C to 55°C, without derating
- Controller area network (CAN) bus / Ethernet interface
- EN50155 and EN45545-compliant
- For railway applications
Rugged 3U cassettes for 19in rack or chassis mount
The rugged MELCHER products offer the industry’s premier line of standard products for DC / DC and ACDC power conversion, including custom design capability for application specific power conversion solutions.
For more than 40 years Bel’s MELCHER lineup of DC / DC and AC / DC cassette-style power converters with extremely robust electrical and mechanical designs have demonstrated to provide consistent power to a diverse array of railway, signaling, communications, transportation and industrial infrastructure applications.
- DC / DC converters with extremely wide input covering battery applications from 12V to 220V nominal
- Universal AC input with identical form factors
- Inrush current limitation
- Reverse polarity protection
- Up to 300W output power
- High efficiency, up to 94.5% including input filter
- Ultra-wide output voltage adjustment
- Remote on / off control input
- Current share, redundancy
- Rugged aluminium extruded case, conformally coated assemblies
- Self cooling, no derating over the specified temperature range
- Compliance with EN50155, EN60571, EN50121-3-2,
- UL / EN60950 and national deviations (AREMA, RIA, NFF)
- Input / output overvoltage protection
- All products are fully transient protected
- No-load, overload and short-circuit protection
- Thermal protection
Isolated PC-board mount DC-DC converters
Bel Power Solutions offers a wide range of PCB-mount DC-DC converters that are especially designed and manufactured for the railway and transportation markets.
- Various wide DC input voltage ranges with or without isolation from 7VDC-160VDC, including platforms with 10:1 ratio
- Output voltages from 3.3V-54V with trim ranges as wide as 0%-110% Vout nominal
- Wide operating temperature ranges with startup at -40°C or below and no derating to 70°C
- Dip-varnished circuits without potting material for maximum reliability
- Isolated converters with magnetic feedback and I / O test voltages up to 3k VAC
- Low output ripple and excellent dynamic response
- Maximum flexibility for modular-type platforms instead of custom designs
- High shock and vibration resistance
- Input overvoltage and under voltage lockout protection
- Current limit and short-circuit protection
- Thermal protection
- Output overvoltage protection (OVP)
- Input transient protection
Non-isolated buck DC / DC converters
Bel Power Solutions offers a wide range of positive switching regulators designed as power supplies for electronic systems, where no input-to-output isolation is required. Their major advantages include a high level of efficiency, high reliability, low output ripple, and excellent dynamic response.
DIN rail AC / DC and DC / DC products
The Melcher LX / LW series of industrial / transportation DIN rail power supply units (PSU) are designed for rugged and harsh environments, where reliability is critical, featuring single or dual outputs and battery charging options.
Products and Services
DC-DC and AC-DC Converters
The RCM Series (Railway Chassis Mount) DC-DC converters are reliable power supplies for railway and transportation systems.
Meeting EN550155 Standard with IMX DC-DC Converters
Bel Power Solutions's IMX range of DC-DC converters, developed by Melcher / Bel Power Solutions, have been the industry standard choice for isolated DC-DC voltage converters for over two decades.
US-based power supply solutions specialist Bel Fuse is pleased to announce that the company will be ringing the closing bell at Nasdaq on 10 July this year.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has released the 0RQB-30Y05L, which is the latest rugged 30W quarter-brick isolated DC-DC converter.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has released the PES1600 Series 1,600W front-end AC and DC power supplies, which are designed for intermediate bus architectures (IBA).Read more
Bel Fuse Inc has awarded Mouser Electronics 2017's inaugural President’s Award at EDS.Read more
Bel Fuse Inc has awarded Digi-Key Electronics with the Distributor of the Year award for the second year.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has released the 0RQB-C2Q12LG industry-standard DC-DC converter to provide high-performance Wi-Fi services.Read more
Signal Transformer has released the EcoTrans Standard Series Transformers for stepping up or stepping down voltage, while maintaining isolation of the mains and output circuits.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has released the RCM500 (500W) and RCM1000 (1000W) chassis-mount DC-DC converters to provide compactness and high reliability for railways.Read more
A new 0ADA Series of fuses has been released by Bel Fuse-Circuit Protection in ceramic cartridge and pigtail, axial leaded AC and DC ranges.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has released the new RCM150 (150W) and RCM300 (300W) chassis-mounted DC-DC converters, designed for compact and high-reliability railway applications.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has released the SPSPFF3 System, a power modules, shelf, controller and power distribution unit (PDU).Read more
The Power Stamp Alliance between four established power solutions suppliers has been established to provide collaborative solutions for 48V-to-low-voltage on-board DC-DC power converters.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has announced its participation at the upcoming Open Compute Project (OCP) US Summit 2018 on 20-21 March at the San Jose Convention Center in San Jose, California, US.Read more
Signal Transformer will be exhibiting at the APEC 2018 technical conference and exhibition in Texas, US.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has revealed its new regulated bus converted, 0RQB-X3S11BG.Read more
Signal Transformer has achieved ISO 9001:2015 certification showcasing Signal’s dedication to continuously improving quality.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has delivered the new LDX-B20, a microprocessor-controlled buffer unit rated at 20A and usable in 12V, 24V, 48V and 72V systems.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection, a Bel group company and premier global manufacturer of power management devices, announces the 0RQB-C5U54LG, a next-generation DC/DC converter with an ultra-wide input range (4:1) and 2,250VDC isolation.Read more
Bel Power Solutions Announces Next Generation 0RCY Series Regulated Bus Converter in an Eighth Brick Footprint
Bel Power Solutions and Protection has announces the 0RCY-F0S10B, a next-generation regulated bus converter with 45-56VDC input / 10.2VDC @ 49A output and offering up to 500W of highly efficient power in an eighth brick footprint.Read more
Bel Power Solutions, a Bel group company (NASDAQ: BELFA and BELFB) and premier global manufacturer of power management devices, announces the new SLDM Tunable Loop™ SLDM-06D1Ax and SLDM-12D1Ax modules, which are ultra-low profile, non-isolated DC-DC converters that deliver up to 6A and 12A with maximum flexibility of being mounted on the top side or bottom side of the host PCB.Read more
Bel Power Solutions and Protection, a Bel group company (NASDAQ: BELFA and BELFB) and premier global manufacturer of power management devices, announces the expansion of their ABC Series open-frame, AC-DC power supply portfolio to include the ultra-low profile ABC41 (industrial) and MBC41 (medical) Series, with an industry leading footprint of 3in x 2in x 0.75in (19 mm).Read more
Bel Power Solutions Introduces High-Power LBC Series Railway Battery Chargers Designed for Train Manufacturers
Bel Power Solutions, a Bel group company, (NASDAQ: BELFA and BELFB) and premier global manufacturer of power management devices, today introduced the LBC Series, a ruggedized battery charger consisting of two or three parallel independent AC-DC converter modules employing PFC stage and isolated DC-DC stage to convert the three-phase input voltage 400 / 480 VAC (line to line) to a bus voltage suitable for 110V battery charging for decentralised railway applications.Read more
Bel Power Solutions & Protection Announces Next-Generation 500Mbps HomePlug® AV Powerline Embedded Module
Bel Power Solutions & Protection, a Bel group company (NASDAQ: BELFA and BELFB) and premier global manufacturer of power management devices, announces the 500MBps HomePlug® AV, RGMII Bus open-frame embedded module. This is the next generation powerline communication solution which increases PHY bit rate up to 500Mbps.Read more
Bel Power Solutions announces the release of its MELCHER™ HP Series DC-DC converter (4TE) with an input voltage range greater than 10:1. The converters deliver up to 192W with typical efficiency up to 93% over input and load range with no derating over the operating ambient temperature range of -40° to 70°C.Read more
The 11th International Trade Fair for Transport Technology (InnoTrans) will be held at Berlin, Germany from 20-23 September 2016. InnoTrans is the leading international trade fair for transport technology and takes places every two years in Berlin.Read more
With the LBC series, Bel Power Solutions targets for the first time the market for auxiliary power supplies in railway vehicles. However, Bel is not new to this industry: under the MELCHER brand the company is at home in the international railway market with innovative DC / DC and AC / DC solutions for more than 40 years.Read more
Bel Power Solutions Introduces DC-DC Converters with Extremely Wide Input Voltage Range for Railway Applications
Equipment manufacturers of sub-systems for railway vehicles always face the problem that the voltage ranges of the supply systems on board differ depending on applications and regional rules.Read more