TE’s HVIB polymeric insulators provide robust, lightweight designs for pantograph, busbar and equipment supports.
Insulators are available for AC and DC systems.
Industry-leading Raychem high-voltage insulation materials and well-proven polymer or glass fibre cores are combined to make insulators that are easy to install and completely reliable in the harsh rail environment.
HVIB insulators are designed to support pantographs, busbars and other high-voltage electric equipment on locomotives, electric multiple units and high-speed trains. Metal end fittings are selected from a wide range of available standards or can be custom designed.
TE can also provide insulators for special applications such as pantograph air-feed insulators. Air-feed insulators house helically wound air-lines encapsulated by Raychem high-voltage materials giving a long internal creepage path that is free from moisture.
- 5 / 3kVDC, 15 / 25kVAC polymeric insulators optimised for use in the rail environment
- Lightweight and easy to handle compared to conventional ceramic alternatives
- Impact resistant and virtually unbreakable due to polymeric materials
- Standard or customised designs available
- Special applications such as air-feed insulators available
- Modular construction for small batch sizes and easy production of new designs
- Reliability from more than 20 years service history on high-speed trains
- Maintenance-free for lower total life-cycle costs
Customised design service
Although standard insulator designs are available, it is possible to tailor the designs for a specific application. By providing this design service, TE can supply all of your insulator needs for new build and retrofit applications. Individual designs can be modelled in most major 2D or 3D drawing packages.
Typical ratings for a 25kV support insulator:
|AC withstand voltage
|Impulse withstand voltage
|-40°C to 80°C
|300mm to 400mm
|Outer housing material
|Raychem high voltage polyolefin
|Typical strike distance
|350mm to 450mm
|650mm to 1,000mm
|40mm to 80mm
|Various designs to customer specification
|10kN MAX working
|10kN MAX working
HVIB insulators have been subjected to a full series of electrical, mechanical and environmental qualification tests to major rail standards. Batches of insulators are serial numbered to provide complete traceability.