Rail Vehicle Door Locks
- Company Details
- Products & Services
- White Papers
- Press Releases
- Regional Offices
- Contact Company
Pickersgill-Kaye, an Assa Abloy Group company, is a manufacturer and supplier of door locks for rail vehicles.
Locking products for railway applications
- Carriage door slam locks, striking plates and handles
- Cab / saloon door locks
- Internal door locks for toilet, cab/saloon, parcel areas, inter car connecting doors, emergency cupboards and budget locks
- Passenger emergency systems - passenger emergency alarm handles (electric and pneumatic), emergency talkback units, remote public address units, internal/external door releases (electric and pneumatic)
- Water control diaphragm and foot valves
- Emergency hammer boxes
- Skirt locks
- Toilet door locks
- Locomotive door locks
- Budget locks
Pickersgill-Kaye was formed in 1855 by Joseph Kaye as a small engineering concern involved primarily with the manufacture of oil cans. During the latter part of the 19th century the company continued to diversify and eventually specialised in the design and manufacture of Kaye’s patent door locks supplying the architectural and railway industries throughout the UK. In October 2015, Pickersgill-Kaye became part of the Assa Abloy Group of companies.
Our primary business focus is the UK railway industry with our biggest customer being Unipart Rail, the UK’s railway vehicle component supplier. Our product range has continued to grow and, as well as door locks, we design and manufacture:
- Complete door systems (e.g. the interior door for the Strasbourg Tram)
- Electro-mechanical assemblies for audio communication systems (e.g. emergency talkback units and passenger alarm handles)
- Electro-mechanical / pneumatic assemblies for train braking systems (e.g. passenger communication units, emergency egress and access devices)
- LED indicator lights
Other capabilities of the Pickersgill group of companies include: repair and overhaul facilities, engineering and problem solving and reliability and performance improvements.
More recent product development
Pickersgill Kaye’s more recent products for the railway industry include:
- LED cant rail light
- LED indicators
- Central locking system
- Strasbourg Tram cab door equipment
- Passenger emergency alarm/talkback units
- Emergency egress and access devices
Pickersgill-Kaye’s product development benefits from all the latest design tools including CAD and solid modelling. We also specialise in reliability studies covering fault trees, failure mode analysis, failure mode effect criticality analysis and maintainability.
The company also offers project management and project engineering services.
Pickersgill-Kaye operates an ISO 9001: 2008 approved quality management system offering confirmation of reliability and quality culture-operator responsibility.
The company is also registered under the Supply Line (supplier number: 89701) and Railway Industry Supplier Qualification Scheme (supplier number: 028143).
The company’s extensive list of railway customers includes Alstom Transport, Axion Technologies, BFG, Bode, Bombardier Transportation, Compin, Dalian/Ocean Eagle, EMD, EVAC, Freightliner, Hitachi Rail, Hyundai-Rotem, Iarnród Éireann, Integral Design, Jukova, Margon, Polmor, RIPCO, Romay, Siemens Transportation, Supersteel, TZV, Unipart Rail, Wabtec, Wissmann, DB Cargo, East Midland Trains, Abellio Greater Anglia, Arriva Trains Wales, East Coast Main Line, Eurostar, First Great Western, Focon, Grand Central Railway, Julien Rail, Jones Nuttall, Petards, Passcomm, SNCB, TRB, ViaRail, RVEL, IFE, KnorrBremse, Progress Rail, SAPA, SBB, LUL, Nabtesco, Eurostar, GAI-Tronics, Lordgate Engineering.
Pickersgill-Kaye also works with various railway technical consultants and train operating companies.
PK has supplied products for all UK and Ireland mainline vehicle builds along with various other worldwide rail vehicle builds, the details for which are available on request.