Spanish state-owned railway infrastructure manager ADIF has awarded a contract to a consortium of Stadler and Erion for 22 rescue locomotives.

The contract was awarded following a competitive tender process. Currently, the deal is subject to an objection period, in which the losing bidders can appeal to initiate a verification procedure against the decision.

After the period is over, ADIF will sign the legally binding contract with the Stadler-led consortium.

The scope of the contract involves the delivery of 22 bi-mode locomotives, along with their maintenance, for a period of eight years. They must operate at a speed of 160kmph, as well as comply with all safety requirements in the Spanish railway network.

Once the vehicles are delivered, ADIF will use them to undertake high-speed railway lines inspection and carry out rescue operations of stranded trains.

Additionally, they can be used for snow clearance and hauling maintenance trains.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The first two locomotives will be delivered within 36 months from the signing of the contract. The remaining vehicles will be delivered in 40 months.

Swiss rolling stock manufacturer Stadler owns an 80% stake in the consortium, while Erion holding the remaining 20% interest.

Erion is itself a joint venture between Stadler and Spanish rail operator Renfe.

Last month, Stadler secured a contract to deliver 80 Tramlink vehicles to Italian public transport company Azienda Trasporti Milanesi (ATM).

The initial order comprises 30 trams, which will be used on the Milan network.

Established in 1942, Stadler manufactures high-speed trains, regional trains, trams, locomotives and passenger carriages. It employs 8,500 people based at various production sites and service locations.