Manufacturers of Schunk Pantographs, Catenary and Wheel Monitoring Systems and Mechanical Handling Systems for Depots
Unique Engineering are exclusive Australian manufacturers of world-renowned Schunk Pantographs for the rail and tram industries. We are 100% Australian owned and operated.
Servicing Australia and New Zealand, Unique Engineering also refurbishes existing Schunk pantographs to preserve 90 years of unsurpassed technology and quality. In addition, Unique Engineering services the industry with overhead, wheel and track monitoring systems, mechanical handling equipment for use in rail depots and workshops, plus train and tram window blinds. Quality Certified, Unique Engineering meets all client engineering and fabrication needs, from one-offs to multiple components.
We offer a complete solution with the resources, skill and experience to handle all your enquiries on sheet metal, boiler making, fabrication and fitting and turning across a broad range of industries.
Railway engineering and consulting
At Unique Engineering we offer a local content Schunk pantograph as we feel local content is necessary to maintain the performance, reliability and safety of pantographs. Schunk pantographs from Unique Engineering offer the following features:
- 8-10 year or 2million kilometer overhaul period
- Maintenance-free bearings
- No grease points
- Minimum mass weight
- Constant contact pressure through entire operating range
- Adjustable contact pressure from 50n–160n
- Suitable for maximum speed of 400km/h
- Pan head insulated from upper arm
- No arcing or binding
- Free movement at all times
- Softer suspension on pan head which reduces wear on carbons and catenary
- Low maintenance
Schunk has been intensively working on the optimisation of current collection under high speed conditions. Their path-breaking technical concept has confirmed its extraordinary status in high speed applications at railway companies around the world. Schunk has successfully applied its expertise and experience from the field of high speed applications to pantographs for light rail vehicles and trams. Schunk are also among the market leaders in this market segment.
As a result of our rigorous commitment to quality, pantographs refurbished by Unique Engineering are guaranteed to meet or exceed the highest standards. We adhere to the strict guidelines and engineering tolerances required by Schunk quality standards – your assurance that the highest quality is met.
Catenary, wheel and track monitoring systems
Unique Engineering is the exclusive Australian and New Zealand distributor of the renowned Dr Wehrhahn laser measuring of rolling stock wheels, tracks and overhead catenary wires. Possible applications of Dr Wehrhahn’s monitoring system include:
- Measurement of rail waviness
- Wheel profile measurement
- Application in wheel-set measurement stations
- Track maintenance
- High-speed track width measurement
- Scanning of the wheel head at high speed
- Scanning of the rail cross-section
- Scanning of the rail longitudinal section
- Ripple measurement
- Measuring of wheel position on track in passing
- Other applications in the R&D area
- RAILMONITOR – a world first in mobile rail measurement
- Mobile measuring system for wheel profile measuring
- Catenary measurement
Railway depot and workshop equipment
Unique Engineering is the Australian and New Zealand representative for Mechan, the world leaders in the design, development and manufacture of mechanical handling equipment for use in rail depots and workshops.
With more than 40 years experience, Mechan boasts an impressive range of:
- Intelligent lifting jacks
- Bogie drops
- Bogie lifting platforms
- Bogie turntable
- Bogie frame rotators
- Bogie handling equipment
- Depot / workshop peripherals
Train and tram roller blind system
We distribute roller blind systems for rail and tramway application exclusively on behalf of Texat décor Engineering Switzerland. The STOROrail roller blind system offers a number of advantages, which include:
- Continuous positioning
- No wearing parts, trouble free use
- Easy service and maintenance
- Fabric under permanent tension
- Absolute stability (stays in position) even with high vibration
- Can be retro-fitted
- UV and block out fabrics, available in range of quality and colours
- Flame resistant
- Three year warranty
Railway engineering and sheet metal fabrication
Unique’s precision engineering and sheet metal fabrication services include stainless steel, mild steel, high-tensile steel and all non-ferrous materials such as copper and aluminum. We can customise existing metal parts to create multi-component parts or develop value-added solutions for clients.
Unique Engineering employ precision machinery operated by skilled staff and specialise in high-quality, accurate and on-time CNC machining and steel cutting. Unique Engineering specialises in a range of different welding techniques for both ferrous and non-ferrous materials, including steel, aluminum and stainless steel.
At Unique Engineering our policy is to remain customer focused, to use our skilled people, our experience and modern technology to continually provide the highest quality innovative solutions in a time-efficient and cost-effective manner and to provide ongoing support to our clients.
The team at Unique Engineering can also specialises in custom solutions to accommodate your welding engineering problems.