The modernisation of the 399-mile (641.6km) rail route between London and Glasgow and its key divergences to Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester, was the largest rail project to date in the UK.
Eland Cables holds a multi-year framework agreement with Network Rail for the supply of the full range of approved cables and overhead line.
Our technical and logistical involvement with most major UK railway projects, combined with our vast Network Rail and London Underground (LU) approved stockholding, makes us one of the leading Rail Industry Supplier Qualification Scheme (RISQS) approved cable supplier to the rail, metro and underground sector.
Our experience has proved invaluable to rail operators and their contractors on key projects for Crossrail and Eurotunnel, and in Australia, Canada, China and Italy. From concept to completion, we deliver complex cabling solutions for rail installations, meeting national and international standards, as well as industry approval, often providing innovative solutions to industry challenges.
Network Rail and LU-approved cable available from stock for same day despatch
Our stockholding of cables covers the full range of railway applications, including signalling, power distribution, telecommunications, rolling stock, and overhead line, all of which is available for same day despatch. We also supply the full range of cables required for railway station and adjacent civil infrastructure upgrades, including fire performance and medium voltage cables.
Our stockholding is complemented by logistical capabilities, which include large project scheduling and just-in-time delivery, storage, cable cutting, and drum collection, all of which are focused on efficiencies and minimising the supply chain’s environment impact.
Expert technical support and quality assurance
Eland Cables’ technical support includes cable selection, as well as cable design, development, and approval.
We carry out cable testing, including of our own products, at the Eland Cables Lab, a specialist cable testing laboratory holding ISO 17025 UKAS accreditation, which certifies the competence, impartiality and performance capability of our cable testing facility and its evaluations.
We also hold the BSI RoHS Trusted Kitemark, a distinction only available to organisations that can demonstrate their ability to comply with the RoHS Directive.
Railway signalling cables
- Signalling cable type A, B, C, D & E
- MR-SE-1093 signalling cable
- SE0527 Rail Concentric Signalling Cable
- SE0875 Rail Signalling Cable
- SE330 Rail Screened Track Crossing Signalling Cable
- SE774 Limited Fire Hazard (LFH) Rail Signalling Power Supply Cable
- LSZH Rail Signalling Cable Type D1, D2, E1, E2
- Rail Concentric Signalling SE 1047 Cable Type 1, 2 , 3, 4
Railway power cables
- Track feeder cable
- Armoured SWA power cable (BS5467, BS6724 and BS6346)
- BR880 Aluminium Trackside power supply cable
- Class 2 signalling power supply cable
- MV power cable (6.35kV / 11kV, 12.7kV / 22kV, 19kV / 33kV and 25kV / 44kV)
- Limited Fire Hazard (LFH) G4727 Rail Armoured Power Cable
- SE774 (LFH) Rail Signalling Power Supply Cable
- S1108 Rail Trackfeeder Cable
- SE895 LSZH Rail Track Circuit Feed Cable
- Negative Trackfeeder Cable
LU-approved Fire Performance Cables
- Firetec BS 7629-1 LPCB BASEC Approved Standard Cable
- Firetec BS 7629-1 LPCB BASEC Approved Enhanced Cable
- Firetec FRF2 Cable
- Firetec BS 7846 LPCB BASEC Approved Impact Power Cable
- Firetec BS 7846 LPCB BASEC Approved Power Cable
Railway telecom and screening cables
Our Network Rail-approved telecom and screening cables include:
- Copper trackside cable and armoured copper trackside cable (NR / PS / TEL / 00015)
- Fibre trackside cable and armoured fibre trackside cable (NR / PS / TEL / 00014)
- SCADA/pilot cable (NR / PS / ELP / 27220)
- Twin datalink cable (BR1932)
- FTN screening conductor cable (NR / PS / TEL / 31102 [BR1817] / BS6485)
- Bare conductor (NR / PS / TEL / 31102 [BR1817] / BS6485)
Points heating cables
Eland provides heavy-duty points heating cables for power distribution and control in points heating systems.
Rolling stock cables
- RIA21 cable (RIA21)
- NSGAFOU cable (DIN VDE 0250-602)
- RSE / STD / 024 LFH Rolling Stock Cable Part 6 Type 1-9, Type 11-13
Overhead Line Cables
Our range includes:
- Centipede overhead line cable
- Cockroach bare overhead line cable
- Cockroach overhead line cable
- Hornet bare overhead line cable
- Hornet overhead line cable
- 107mm² copper silver contact wire
- 107mm² copper tin contact wire
- 107mm² contact wire with ID groove (hard drawn copper)
- 120mm² contact wire copper silver
- 7 / 7 / 0.51mm copper flexible stranded conductor
- 19 / 2.1mm bronze II stranded conductor (catenary wire)
- 19 / 3.20mm hard drawn stranded CU conductor 150mm (catenary wire)
Cable for stations
Our cable for stations include:
- Section 12 fire integrity cable: (BS7629-1, BS 5839-1:2002, BS 8434-1:2003, BS EN 50200 PH30, BS 6387 C W Z, IEC 60332-3, IEC 60332-1, BS EN 50265, BS EN 50266, IEC 60754, BS EN 50267, IEC 61034 and BS EN 50268)
- CW1128 / CW1198 cable
- Coaxial cable type CT100, CT125 and RG / URM / composite cable
- Cat 5e, Cat 6 and Cat 6a cables
- RS232 (overall screened multi-core and overall screened multi-pair belden alternative) and RS422 (individually screened multi-pair low cap belden alternative) cable CW1308 and CW1600 cable
We also supply a wide range of approved accessories for our cables, including ties, glands, lugs, terminals, ladders and trays.
Since opening in 1987, the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) has been central to the regeneration of east London. Now its significance is far greater than originally envisaged.
Liverpool Street Station is being upgraded by Crossrail as part of a £14.8bn (approximately $19bn) Elizabeth Line (formerly Crossrail) project in London, UK.
An upgrading programme for the 393-mile (632km) East Coast Main Line (ECML) route between London and Edinburgh, and its key divergences serving Leeds, Bradford and Glasgow, was thrust into a new context during 2007.
Eland Cables, a global supplier of power, data and control cables to the world's most demanding industries, has become the first UK cable supplier to achieve UKAS ISO 17025 accreditation for its Cable Lab, an in-house, specialist cable testing laboratory.
Eland Cables, a leading international cable supplier, is celebrating the success of being crowned the 13th best company to work for in the Sunday Times Top 100 List 2011. The Best Company to Work for Awards 2011 is based on the accreditation scheme run by Best Companies and serves as th
A new Network Rail-approved axle counter cable, developed by Eland Cables, is set to make installation quicker, cheaper and easier than ever before. The new axle counter cable specification, approved by Network Rail on 20 October 2009, is designed to replace the specification already us
Eland Cables is once again strengthening its railway telecoms portfolio, with a further 32 Network Rail approvals. In securing product acceptance on a full range of ZHLS telecom cables, Eland has consolidated its position as a leading UK rail cable supplier - offering more Network Rail approved t
Unipart Rail and Eland Cables are to play an important role in the development of Britain's rail infrastructure, after Unipart Rail secured a three-year cable contract with Network Rail. The contract now in place to supply electrical cables and related services to Network Rail involves a c
Eland Cables now has more Network Rail approved rail telecoms cables than any other rail cable supplier. That's the message from the Eland rail team, which is celebrating after securing full product acceptance on Armoured Copper Trackside and Copper Trackside Cable. The NR/PR/TEL/00015
Rail cable supplier Eland Cables is celebrating after reaching the highest ever rank of any electrical cable supplier in the prestigious Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For awards 2009. With a total of 997 entries and 200,000 employee opinions, the Best Companies awards repr
Eland Cables, a cable supplier, is set to reveal all in a new initiative designed to make the cable buying experience quicker and easier than ever before. The initiative, launched on the 16th of January 2009, sees the introduction of 3D models to the company's website. With computer-gener
Eland Cables has achieved the prestigious ISO 14001 accreditation, illustrating their current and future commitment to minimising environmental impact. The ISO 14001 international standard provides both a model for streamlining environmental management and guidelines to ensure environmental issue
Since 2001 Eland Cables has built up a strong reputation and is proud to be contributing towards the safety and efficiency of rail networks across the UK. Eland Cables has recently been PADS listed as the sole UK approved supplier to Network Rail infrastructure for PVC and LSZH sheathe
Eland Cables is proud to announce its inclusion, for the second consecutive year, in the Sunday Times Top 100 Best Small Companies to Work For listing. This acknowledges organisations that provide excellent workplaces, excellent workplace practices and great leadership, as defined by it
Eland Cables has recently secured a multi-million pound contract to supply a significant amount of Network Rail's signalling cable requirements for maintenance 2007/2008. The contract was awarded by Network Rail's purchasing agent for maintenance materials, Unipart Rail Logistics (URL),
Eland Cables is proud to announce its two star status within the Best Companies Accreditation 2007 and its inclusion in the Sunday Times' 'Top 100 Companies to Work For' list. This valuable accreditation acknowledges and rewards organisations that provide excellent workplaces, excellent