Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
April 6, 2017

Network Rail to build concrete sleeper plant in UK

UK’s Network Rail has identified a site in Sandwell to build a new factory that will produce sleepers for the country's railways.

UK’s Network Rail has identified a site in Sandwell to build a new factory that will produce sleepers for the country's railways.

The railway sidings at Bescot have been selected as the preferred location for the new concrete sleeper factory. The plant will secure up to 100 jobs in the West Midlands.

Network Rail London and North Western route managing director Martin Frobisher said: “Network Rail remains committed to the West Midlands economy, which is why Bescot has been identified as our preferred location for the new factory that will retain the bulk of our sleeper manufacturing presence in the region. 

“We are in discussion with the local council to carry out an environmental assessment of the proposed factory and its impact on the surrounding area before we fully consult with local people and stakeholders on our plans.”

"The facility is expected to produce up to 600,000 of sleepers per annum."

Network Rail said that upon approval, the facility is expected to produce up to 600,000 of sleepers per annum, accounting for 60% of the country's supply. The remaining 40% will be supplied by the company’s other plant in Doncaster.

The company plans to directly connect the proposed site at Bescot to the rail network to make it quicker and easier to transport the sleepers around the UK.

Content from our partners
Four principles to harness data for asset management
The green transportation revolution: An unprecedented opportunity to invest in the future

A 15-year contract will be awarded by Network Rail to manufacture concrete railway sleepers this year.


Image: Network Rail selected the railway sidings at Bescot for the new concrete sleeper factory. Photo: courtesy of Network Rail.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The railway industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU