Human Machine Interfaces and Components for Rail Vehicles
EAO is the leading supplier of human machine interface (HMI) systems to the global rail industry. With over 60 years’ experience, it has become the world’s foremost expert in the design, manufacture and integration of these systems within passenger vehicles.
- Passenger access systems
- Driver’s desks and cockpit controls
- Toilet access and controls
- Guard’s controls and security panels
- Driver reminder appliances
- Critical system displays
- Custom-built enclosures
Passenger access systems
Passenger access systems are more than just a door opening button. As the primary interface between the operating company and the rail public, they must create a good impression while facilitating the safe, efficient passage on and off trains. Controls that combine aesthetically pleasing design with ease-of use actually make operation safer for passengers.
The key to designing passenger interfaces is to use familiar products which provide a consistent and predictable performance. Human factors, ergonomic criteria, the feedback of visual and audible information, and compliance to industry regulations and best practices are critical.
EAO’s passenger access systems are designed using the finest quality and time-proven Swiss components. Our technical know-how ensures compliance with international regulations, including the new EN 14752 regulations for passenger body-side doors, European Technical Specification for Interoperability for Persons with Reduced Mobility (TSI-PRM), and APTA Standards Development Program Rail Standard (APTA SS-M-18-10).
EN 14752 and TSI-PRM compliant passenger access system components
Series 57 – Sets the new standard. EAO introduces the new Series 57 – the all-in-one door opening pushbutton combining these innovative features:
- First choice to fully comply with the new EN 14752
- User friendly, extra large operating area of Ø 74 mm
- Two unique independently illuminated feedback rings
- Raised, illuminated symbols conform to TSI PRM & ADA
- Integrated finding tone for visually impaired persons
- Smart, tool-less final mounting saves time and costs
The Series 57 range currently includes:
- Pushbuttons with raise symbols
- Warning indicator (new)
Series 56 – The most comprehensive, TSI-PRM compliant range:
- Pushbuttons with raised symbols
- Raised indicator
- Multi-tone sound module
- Speaker module (new)
- Flashing hazard light (new)
Train cockpit controls
The effectiveness of a cockpit HMI system depends upon an exacting design process that incorporates all technical, ergonomic and communication requirements. Working with an experienced rail supplier will ensure that the system is designed to meet these expectations and is in accordance with international standards.
EAO’s cockpit HMIs are manufactured to UIC Leaflet 612-0 standards, which harmonises the layout and functional requirements of each control device – not only on the driver’s desk, but for all HMIs in and outside of the traction unit.
EAO’s HMI systems provide:
- Full panel layout according to 612-0 standards
- Pushbutton and lever controls
- Integration of displays and screens
- Integrated alarm and status signals indicators
- Indicator panels with rapid push-to-test
- Modular design to save money and speed-up replacement
- Fast integration with existing wiring harnesses
Train cockpit HMI components
- EAO’s Series 04, a UIC 612 compliant range, includes:
- Square and round pushbuttons, indicators, selectors, keylocks and guard security keys
- Lever switches for operating braking and lighting controls (up to five switching positions possible on a single axis)
- Push-in terminals from Phoenix Contact
- Modern, flush-mounting style for optimum operation
- Industry standard legends provided by engraving, hot stamping, or laser etching
Passenger convenience controls
On-board WC facilities are an important area within the passenger environment and are therefore within the scope of TSI-PRM regulations. All the controls which allow access to the toilet, door locking, flushing and washing must be compliant. EAO has wide experience of designing toilet controls which satisfy international rail standards and provide the human touch that is so desirable in passenger environments. We supply controls with bright illumination, Braille legends, international symbols, and easy-to-identify status.