Glass-Banding, Banding, Resiglass, Polyglas, Rotor-Banding and Armature-Banding Tape
Nashik Insulations manufactures glass fibre banding tapes. Nashik Insulations' banding tape is a high strength non-woven glass tape used for banding of rotors, armatures and transformer cores.
Banding tape for rotors, armatures and transformer cores
Our banding tape consists of high-strength glass yarns laid parallel, impregnated with special high-temperature thermosetting polyester resin. During cure, the resin flows and fills the voids and air spaces to produce a homogeneous laminate with a smooth resin surface.
Armature banding tape
Nashik Insulations’ banding tape can also be used for armature banding.
Thermal class F and thermal class H banding tape
Banding tape is available in thermal class F (155°C) and thermal class H (200ºC).
Features of our banding tape include:
- High thermal resistance of up to 200ºC; short period of heating up to 260ºC may be tolerated, whereas solder may melt on steel wires
- Very high arc resistance, thereby minimizing the possibility of 'flash over' which has often been a problem with steel bands
- Resistant to humidity and corrosion
- Smooth cured surface on application of banding tape reduces dirt adhesion, which might otherwise lead to tracking failure
- Non-conducting material, hence eliminates insulation as required under steel banding
- Prevents lashing banding tape bands, eliminating the extreme damage caused by lashing wires and lifting armature coils experienced when steel bands break
Composite material banding tape
Composite material banding tape is supplied in a semi-cured soft balanced flat ribbon of glass yarn and high temperature polyester resin, thus ensuring that each yarn bears a distributed share of load. Banding tape forms a high strength loop, holds the coil in place against centrifugal forces and has a high safety factor, once suitably applied under requisite winding tension and cured to recommended cycle. It supports weight reduction much better than steel banding wire.
Rail applications for our banding tape
Recommended rail applications for our banding tapes are:
- As a winding restraint on traction armatures, generators, other rotating machines and transformer cores
- Applications where high tensile strength and insulating properties of the product can be made use of
Due application care is recommended for an optimum performance. It is advised that the banding procedure be standardized and monitored, to ensure compliance of process parameters and obtain the desired performance. Generally, product quality, storage condition and method of use all play an equally important role in the performance of your banding tape.
Storage of banding tape
Banding tape should be stored in low-temperature atmospheres. The tape should be brought back to the ambient condition at the time of use. Outside of the time of use it is best to put it in a plastic cover and seal it, in order to keep it clean and avoid condensation of moisture on the product at low temperature.
Transportation of banding tape
Banding tape requires special and rapid transportation arrangements. Mutual consultation is suggested for appropriateness depending on the transit period, available modes, handling, etc. Considering the sensitivity of banding tape, the buyer needs to quickly take delivery of the consignment and store it suitably.
Nashik Insulations has uploaded a free white paper providing details of its range of tapes for railway traction applications. Its banding tape is a high strength non-woven glass tape used for banding of rotors, armatures and transformer cores. The synonyms for banding tapes are glass fibre bandin