Lenord+Bauer is a world-leading supplier of magnetic sensors for demanding applications in rail vehicles, windmills, mobile machines, and vehicular and marine engineering. The Sensorline product range offers a variety of sensor solutions for railway, metro and tram applications, such as:
- Traction control
- Wheel slide protection
- Engine speed measurement
- Temperature measurement
- Mileage measurement
- Automatic train protection
Rugged sensors for rail vehicles
Encoders used in rail vehicles need to be unaffected by dirt, oil and grease, rainwater, condensation, high and / or fluctuating temperatures, and shock and vibration, particularly in the unsprung parts of bogies. Lenord+Bauer sensors can take all such punishment without damage.
They have proved to be reliant in thousands of railway projects during the last decades. They are based on the magnetic and inductive sensing principles using hall-effect magneto-resistance and Eddy current sensors with metal targets and employ the very latest sensor technology, circuitry and construction techniques.
These sensors offer a high level of electrical and mechanical robustness, guaranteeing reliable function and long-term dependability.
Custom sensors, cables and hardware
For special requirements, Lenord+Bauer can design and manufacture custom sensors, and associated cable and hardware types. Almost any installation requirement can be accommodated.
Rotary speed sensors
Rail rotary speed sensors for sensing toothed wheel targets are available in a wide range of types. Features include:
- One to three channels
- Measure frequencies in the range from 0Hz to 25kHz
- For toothed wheel targets with modules from 1 to 3.5 (DP 25.4 to 7.26)
- Air-gap up to 3mm
- Square-wave output signal pattern (voltage, standstill voltage or current)
- Protection class IP 68, fully potted
- PT100 / PT1000 temperature sensors can be assembled to a shared connector
High-resolution encoders for heavy duty applications
For highly dynamic drive regulators in locomotives Lenord+Bauer offers high-resolution encoders with their own housing and bearings. They also possess a specially constructed wide-range coupling that can compensate for considerable amounts of play on the axial shaft.
- Output signal: two sinusoidal signals offset by 90°; optional reference pulse
- Up to 256 pulses per revolution with provision for external interpolation (1,024 pulses or more can be achieved)
- Extremely robust encoder for measuring rotational movements in machines and vehicles
- Rugged construction housed in stainless steel
- Highly resistant to electromagnetic discharges and interference
- Extremely wide temperature range from -40°C to +120°C
- Splash proof and highly resistant to condensation
- Very high protection class: IP 67
- Available as fixed-shaft encoders (diameter 16mm) or with our patented integrated quill shaft coupling
Multi-channel encoders have been specially developed to provide independent output signals for different control electronics, such as engine rev counters, wheel-slide protection, automatic train control and rolling distance. Features include:
- From one to eight channels
- Up to three different pulse counts from one encoder
- Voltage and current signals
- Freely configurable phase relationships between the channels
- Various flange forms available
These encoders can be supplied in a number of variants for mounting on the axle cover or directly on the wheel with a torque converter bearing. Their flexible, modular construction makes them ideal encoders not only for new projects, but also for upgrading and retrofitting existing rolling stock.
Odometers for freight vehicles
For mileage data acquisition Lenord+Bauer offers an energy autonomous odometer for freight vehicles. The compact and maintenance-free device will be mounted to the wheel set and records extensive wheel set and mileage information. A handheld device can be used to retrieve data via RFID and transfer it to your ERP or maintenance database.
- Compact, unobtrusive, tamper-resistant
- Contact free and maintenance free
- No battery required
- Shock and vibration resistant
- Approved for explosion-hazardous areas, ATEX-certified
Product testing and certifications
Extensive experience has resulted in practical test strategies especially developed for Lenord+Bauer products and their fields of application. The company tests for compliance with all the usual standards as regards:
- Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- Resistance to condensation, impacts and vibration
- Corrosion resistance
- Temperature stability from –40°C to +120°C
The company’s quality management is certified to IRIS and ISO 9001 and its environmental management to ISO 14001.