US-based passenger rail search and booking technologies provider SilverRail Technologies has acquired the Swedish rail technology firm Linkon.

As part of the new development, SilverRail acquires 75% of the Linkon’s business, while the remaining 25% will be retained by the current owner, Swedish national rail carrier SJ.

This acquisition is expected to help SilverRail to innovate the way rail is accessed and sold worldwide, as well as enhance the industry’s capacity to compete with regional air travel effectively, the company stated.

"Linkon brings us direct access to one of the most forward-looking rail markets in the world."

SilverRail co-founder and CEO Aaron Gowell said: "Our global rail search and transaction platform is revolutionary for the industry, but our ability to innovate is often constrained by the limitations of the underlying rail operator systems.

"Linkon brings us direct access to one of the most forward-looking rail markets in the world. As a combined force, we’ll be able to deliver a world-class, customer-centric e-commerce experience for global rail travel."

Linkon currently offers a complete IT platform, including an inventory management system, strong settlement capability and an innovative ticketing system, with support for both m-tickets and e-tickets for rail operators in the Swedish market.

Founded in 2009, the SilverRail platform is now connected to markets accounting for $60bn in rail transactions throughout North America and Europe.

In June 2014, the company raised $40m to boost the integration of global rail carriers, continue building next-generation search technology and expand carrier IT solutions.