Bombardier to build 410 new rail cars for BART

14 May 2012 (Last Updated May 14th, 2012 18:30)

The Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Agency in San Francisco, US, has awarded an $896m contract to Canadian rail car manufacturer Bombardier to design and build 410 trains.

BART

The Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Agency in San Francisco, US, has awarded an $896m contract to Canadian rail car manufacturer Bombardier to design and build 410 trains.

According to BART, the first model off the assembly line is scheduled to go into service in 2017, with all 410 rail cars expected to be delivered by 2020.

The trains will be fully assembled in the US and at least 66% of components will be manufactured domestically, complying with Buy America regulations.

As well as topping the rating system with a score of 79.7, Bombardier's bid was $184m less than the competing offer from French manufacturer Alstom.

BART board president John McPartland said: "BART customers can look forward to a new generation of high-tech, environmentally-friendly, reliable train cars, while taxpayers are getting tremendous value."

A total of 410 new cars will be built, out of which the first 260 will cost $2.4m each, with the remaining 150 costing $1.8m; making the average cost of each around $2.2m.

The order is the first phase of a $2.5bn project to replace all of BART's existing 669 trains, which are the oldest operating in the country, with 775 new models.

Of the total cost, BART will pay about 25% and the remaining 75% will be federally funded via the Metropolitan Transportation Commission.

Bombardier's bid of $1.54bn for all 775 cars beat out competition from Alstom's offer of $1.73bn and Rotem / Hyundai's proposal of $2.8bn.


Image: The first rail car off the assembly line built by Bombardier is scheduled to go into service in 2017. Photo: courtesy of BART.