Complete Rolling Stock Development Technology
FIREMA, an Italian company with 90 years of experience, provides highly innovative technology for complete rolling stock development.
Rolling stock design, manufacture and maintenance
FIREMA offers a wide range of products and services for rolling stock. Our three core businesses in this area are:
- Rolling stock design, manufacture, maintenance and refurbishment
- Rolling stock equipment (traction and auxiliary systems) design, manufacture and maintenance
- Wireless data transmission systems: development and application of radio connection and train-to-wayside (remote diagnosis, remote assistant and maintenance, remote video surveillance, and audio-video passenger information)
We can offer these services for the following rolling stock:
- Single and double-deck regional EMUs (standard gauge)
- Narrow-gauge regional EMUs and DMUs
- Diesel hydraulic shunting locomotives
- Suburban trains and metros
- Light-rail vehicles
- Very-high-speed trains
- Single and double-deck passenger coaches (steel and aluminium solutions)
- Innovative regional trains (EMUs, DMUs and bimodal trains)
Global rolling stock service, overhaul, restyling and redesign
FIREMA is one of the most important prime contractors in the rolling stock service business. We are a leading company in the maintenance, overhaul, restyling and redesign of coaches, trains, systems and electrical equipment, in line with customers’ quality, cost and delivery (QCD) expectations.
Wireless technology and radio components for rolling stock
We provide a range of wireless technology, and also develop high-performance radio components for rolling stock.
The introduction of wireless technology allows radio connection instead of a traditional wired connection, providing added value through weight and maintenance redaction and improved system reliability
Wireless rolling-stock diagnosis and telemetry, maintenance, and infotainment technology
FIREMA’s wireless technology for rolling stock is perfect for use with unique integrated systems for real-time diagnosis and telemetry, and remote assistance toward predictive and corrective maintenance purposes. It can also be used for infotainment services (passenger information systems, video surveillance, Wi-Fi and mobile connections, music, movies, and advertising).
High-performance radio connections
Recent expansion of the wireless technology business unit has included the introduction of high-performance radio connections.
Ticketing and passenger-flow, station control and safety systems
We also develop ticketing and passenger-flow control systems, station control systems and safety systems.
Rolling stock technicians and automatic production lines
FIREMA has recently been improving its engineering centres in Caserta and Milan, including reinforcing the engineering area by increasing the number of technicians to 127. In the last year FIREMA has employed a great number of specialists, including some from the aeronautical sector.
We have also introduced automatic production lines, which are used from original metal working to coach assembly stages.
Rolling stock construction facilities
Our headquarters and main rolling-stock production plant is in Caserta. We have an engineering and sales office in Milan, a plant for electrical and traction equipment service in Spello, and a plant for electrical and traction equipment production in Tito.
Other centres include:
- Transport Competence Centre (Technology Environment Safety Transport), with Italian universities
- Virtual reality centre (virtual mock-up, maintenance check, internal and external design, and virtual interiors)
- Testing centre (bogies’ fatigue test, body-shell compression test, aeronautic components test)
- Test centre for new transport projects; projects include testing of the crash behaviour of a new body-shell structure material (aluminium extruded section with aluminium foam core)
- Full-scale vehicle-crash test facilities
FIREMA’s excellent staff contributes to a constant growth of product quality, through advanced railway technology and service systems. We employ 833 people: 22 managers, 127 technical engineers, 169 employees and 515 other workers.
FIREMA’s outstanding quality and success in both local and international markets is ensured by the solid knowledge and values it possesses, which enable it to meet different market challenges and seize opportunities.