Hangzhou Metro Line 1

The Chinese city of Hangzhou has started commercial operations on 48km Metro Line 1, the first metro line in the city.

The RMB22bn ($3.53bn) project has been implemented as a public-private partnership (PPP), approved by the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) of China in July 2012.

Hangzhou Metro Line 1 will be operated for 25 years by the Hangzhou MTR joint venture, in which MTR Corporation has a 49% stake and the remaining 51% is owned by Hangzhou Metro Group (HMG).

MTR Corporation chief executive officer Jay Walder said that Hangzhou Metro Line 1 is the company’s third investment in a metro project in China.

"We will work closely with our partner, Hangzhou Metro Group, to provide a safe, convenient and high-quality metro service to the local community," Walder said.

"Construction of the 31-station line, which connects Linping in the north with Wulin Square in the city centre and Xianghu in the south, began in March 2007."

Construction of the 31-station line, which connects Linping in the north with Wulin Square in the city centre and Xianghu in the south, began in March 2007.

The Hangzhou MTR joint venture has invested RMB8bn ($1.25bn) to provide electrical and mechanical systems and rolling stock for the project, which is the first of eight metro lines planned in the city of Hangzhou.

HMG has provided 62% of the project’s cost for the civil works on the 48km line, of which 41km will be underground.

Construction is also underway on the 34.7km south-eastern section of Hangzhou Metro Line 2, which is expected to open in two stages, with the first set to open before the end of 2013.

Ansaldo won a contract in October 2012 to design and supply a communications-based train control (CBTC) signalling system for Phase 1 of Hangzhou Metro Line 2 in China.

The first phase of Hangzhou Metro Line 2 will have a total length of 20.9 miles including 26 underground stations.


Image: MTR CEO Jay Walder, Hangzhou MTR chairman Shao Jianming, Governor of Zhejiang Province Xia Baolong, secretary of the Hangzhou Municipal Committee of the Communist Party of China Huang Kunming and Mayor of Hangzhou Municipal Shao Zhanwei take a ride on Hangzhou Metro Line 1. Photo: courtesy of MTR Corporation.