Astaldi wins Polish rail upgrade contract


A joint venture between international construction company Astaldi Group and CLF has received a €82m contract to upgrade a section of the E-59 Warsaw-Poznan railway line (Lot IV) from Poland's public rail infrastructure organisation Polskie Linie Kolejowe (PKP).

Astaldi leads the joint venture with a 95% interest, while the remaining 5% stake belongs to CLF.

The scope of work includes the reconstruction of track systems for 35km on the existing line from the boundary with the Lower Silesia Province in Leszno, as well as the construction of two railway stations at Rawicz and Bojanowo.

It also includes upgrades to the line’s viaduct system and the construction of two additional viaducts.

The works are expected to take more than two years and are expected to be carried out without interrupting railway services.

"The works are expected to take more than two years and are expected to be carried out without interrupting railway services."

The contract supports Astaldi Group’s business initiative to strengthen its activity in Central Europe.

It will also increase Astaldi’s activity in Poland, where the company is reported to manage an order backlog of approximately €1bn related to the extension of Line 2 of the Warsaw Underground, in addition to various other road projects.

The central section between Rondo Daszynskiego-Dworzec Wilenski was previously completed by the company in 2015 as part of the Warsaw Underground project.

The company also recently received a contract for the modernisation of about 68km of the N-7 railway line connecting Warsaw and Dorohusk, which is now in the constructon phase of development.