Ansaldo STS is a leading international technology company operating in the global railway and mass-transit transportation business, providing traffic management, planning, train control and signalling systems and services.
It acts as lead contractor and turnkey provider on major projects worldwide. Ansaldo STS is headquartered in Genoa, Italy, and employs over 4,200 people in 28 countries.
Rail signalling systems
Ansaldo STS provides full service capabilities for signalling and transport systems in the areas of:
- High-speed rail
- Mainlines and freight
- Mass transit and light rail
- Computer-based interlocking
- Planning, supervision and traffic control
- Operation and maintenance
High-speed line design, construction, project management, maintenance and financing
Ansaldo STS can carry out design, construction, testing, commissioning, system engineering, system integration, project management, operation, maintenance and project financing of complete high-speed lines or any of their subsystems.
Turnkey rail project management
Ansaldo STS may also act as lead or main contractor or partner for overall transportation systems, including complete high-speed railway systems such as the Italian high-speed network. As lead contractor, Ansaldo STS provides end-to-end timely, successful and on-budget solutions for turnkey projects of any size or complexity, offering the following services:
- System design
- Project financing
- Design, build, finance and operate (DBFO)
- Build, operate and transfer (BOT)
- Design, build, operate and maintain (DBOM)
- System integration with interface management
- Operation and maintenance
- After-sales service
ERTMS upgrades for signalling systems
Ansaldo STS provides full-service capabilities to large railway networks like India, France, Italy and the US. In Europe, the company is central to upgrading to the European Railway Traffic Management System (ERTMS), leading to the interoperability of differing countries' networks.
Ansaldo STS also pioneered the high-speed railway transportation era by commissioning the very first high-speed signalling system for the first LGV in revenue service in 1981 in France (LGV Paris-Lyon). In 2005, Ansaldo STS set another landmark, by putting into service the first high-speed line running on an ERTMS level two signalling system (AV Rome-Naples, in Italy).
The company's main business lines in this area are:
- Operation and traffic control
- Wayside signalling systems and equipment
- Computer-based interlocking systems for single main stations or multi-station type for lines
- On-board automation and vital equipment
- Operation support systems
- Communications-based train control
- Service and maintenance
The most advanced railway networks and mass-transit operators can only rely on the most sophisticated, high-tech and safest components available. Ansaldo STS develops these at three world-leading factories located in Italy, France and the US.